Growing in Earthboxes

Home page Forums Finding, Prepping and Managing Land Growing in Earthboxes

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brenda Sullivan Brenda Sullivan 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hi SPIN Farmers,

This is a question for those of you who have experience growing in Earthboxes. Do you find the plastic mulch covers that the Earthboxes come with to be a help or a hindrance? The reason I ask is because I have a feeling that the plastic mulch covers are smothering my seedlings that don’t find their way through the holes I cut out for them.

Thanks for letting me know you experiences.
    Binyamin
    Unity Farm
    Yishi, Israel

Profile photo of Cornhusker
    Cornhusker

Hi Binyamin,

I have 20 earth boxes in play in my back yard. I have only used them for transplants, such as tomatoes, peppers, etc. They seem to do very well in earth boxes.

Sounds like you are direct seeding, is that the case?

The plastic covers I believe help with moisture retention in the box, so I don’t think it would be a good idea to remove them, especially in hot weather growing conditions.

You might need to tweak the holes you cut out, or use transplants next time.
    Wally

Profile photo of Brenda Sullivan
    Brenda Sullivan
    Participant

Hi Binyamin

I would not use the plastic covers unless you are trying to germinate seeds for quick greens. I found the covers not to be effective and yes, same as you I’ve lost seedlings with the covers on. I no longer use the covers.

Thompson Street Farm LLC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

s2Member®